When you think about a Skype interview, you probably ask yourself, “how hard could it be”? Though one may think a Skype interview is simple, there are many aspects of the Skype interview that can hurt your chances of making it to the next round. Listed below are a few key pointers to help you nail the Skype interview:
- Environment: It is important to think about environment when preparing for a skype interview. Pick a quiet place to have your interview so there are no distractions. Keep your backdrop neutral so that you can be the focal point of the interview. In this case, less is more.
- Attire: Although this is not an in-person interview, it is the closest thing to it. The hiring manager can see you and you can see them. In this case, dress business professional. For men, it is recommended that you wear a suit with a tie and for women, it is recommended that you wear nice slacks, a dress or skirt. It is always best to be overdressed than under dressed. Dressing professionally for a Skype interview is expected and shouldn’t be overlooked.
- Practice makes perfect: We all know that when we use Skype, it isn’t the easiest. Often, we catch ourselves looking everywhere but at the person we are speaking to. To perfect this, we need to practice. Do a trial run with a friend so that when it comes to the professional Skype interview, you are ready to shine.
- Preparation and organization: It is imperative that you prepare for your Skype interview as these types of interviews are far different than in-person interviews. Have your resume as well as the job description handy so that in case you freeze up, you will have notes to reference. I would practice having your Skype interview as some candidates start to use their notes as more of a crutch than a reference. You should only be glancing at your resume when needed, you should not be using it as a scrip. Relying too heavily on your notes can hurt your chances of getting to the next round. With anything, practice makes perfect.
- Body Language: Body language is extremely important in a Skype interview. Because you are not in person with the hiring manager, it makes it even more important that you focus on positive body language. Make sure your body language expresses that you are engaged with the audience. Remain positive and upbeat. Smile, laugh, show the hiring manger that you are engaged and interested!